Before my Exchange

Hey Everyone,
Welcome to my cool blog that is going to update you on everything that I do on my Exchange to Spain in December 2019 - February 2020. If you are reading this as someone who is thinking of or is going on an exchange, Welcome my name is Isabel, I'm 15 years old (as of Nov. 2019) but while I am in Spain I will turn 16) and I live in Auckland, New Zealand and this is my experience which may not reflect what could happen on your exchange but that's because everyone's experience is different. If you already know me welcome back to my amazing life where once again I am  almost definitely pushing myself way out of my comfort zone and trying something way out of what I would normally do.

Sooooooo I am going to Spain for THREE months this year and that's all thanks to STS exchanges who have organised it all. My host family consists of Jose JoaquĆ­n (Host Father), Encarna (Host Mother) and my three host sisters Marta(15), Irene(12), Elena(9) and they live in Santomera, Murcia. I am so excited to meet them and I have already made contact with them and I have chatted with Marta over text a few times. They don't speak much English so it really means I'm gonna have to use my 3 years of School Spanish to survive which I really don't know how far it's gonna get me.

Things I have done to prepare to go to Spain:
- Incessantly study Spanish
- Spending endless amounts of time watching Spanish Netflix shows (instead of studying for exams)
- Changing my phone's language to Spanish
- Only listening to Spanish music (to my sister's despair)
- And finally, arguing with my everyone I can in my broken Spanish

Am I ready? No
Will I ever feel ready? No
Am I still going? Yep

Less than a month till I leave and it still hasn't really hit me that I am flying halfway across the world (literally) by myself with no one I know and waking up every day in a country where everyone speaks a language I am not fluent in but I am prepared to face all challenges as they come and to try as much new things as possible. Also a special thanks to my amazing sister for asking what happens if your host family does not like me or you don't like them (which I'm sure won't be the case) but still thanks Tess that's very reassuring of you. I guess this is the end of the first in an amazing series of blog posts composed by yours truly and I can't wait to share more of my journey with you all. I guess the next post will probably be when I have arrived in Santomera after countless hours of travel.

Thank you for reading and I hope you're having a wonderful day!

Comments

Popular Posts